Amazon Alexa Guide
With Abode’s integration with Amazon Alexa you can view live video from Abode cameras through screen-enabled Alexa devices, set routines to have Alexa call out when specific doors & windows are opened and closed, call for help, arm and disarm your Abode system, and more. You can also control devices connected to your Abode system like lights & locks and get the status of your devices like door & window sensors, and set routines to record video on your Abode cameras when motion is detected.
The Abode Security Skill allows you to interact with the security and home automation aspects of your Abode system. With the Abode Security Skill you can arm/disarm, get the status of your system, doors, window, and locks, you can control lights, switches, dimmers, open/close smart locks, and even control garage doors. A full list of supported commands can be found below under Useage Guide.
When directing Alexa using the Abode Security skill, you must invoke the skill by saying, “Alexa” or “Alexa, ask Abode to." A couple of examples:
- Alexa, show me Side Yard Cam.
- Alexa, turn on Kithen Lights.
- Alexa, arm Abode into Away mode.
- Alexa, tell Abode to close the Garage Door.
- Alexa, ask Abode for system status.
Smart Home Skill
The Abode Smart Home skill allows you to interact with the home automation aspects of your Abode Security System. With the Abode Smart Home Skill, you can control lights, switches, dimmers, and even lock your smart locks.
As Amazon adds new device support to their Smart Home Skill API, we will continue to update our Abode Smart Home Skill. Our goal is to eventually phase out the Abode Security skill for the Abode Smart Home skill, but until all functionality is available in the Smart Home API, we'll have to maintain two skills.
When directing Alexa using the Abode Smart Home skill, you do not have to invoke Abode first. A couple of examples:
- Alexa, turn off the Outside Lights.
- Alexa, DIM the Living Room lights to 50%.
- Alexa, lock the Front door.
To integrate Alexa with Abode you need to have the Amazon Alexa app installed on your mobile device, and your Alexa devices already setup and paired within the Alexa App.
- In the Abode App on your Apple or Android device, select the Menu (≡).
- Tap "Integrations".
- Tap "Amazon Alexa".
- Tap "Connect to Amazon Alexa" to be directed to the Alexa app account on your device
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the integration. That’s it! You can now use your Amazon Echo to control your Abode home security system.
Suggested Voice Commands:
When controlling devices using Alexa voice commands you need to specify by name which device to use. There are two ways to control devices:
- Use the device name you have already setup in the Abode App. These are the names of your devices shown in the Devices sectino of the Abode App.
- Create an Alexa group, such as a "Bedroom" or "Downstairs", and add the device(s) to the group. See Create a Routine section below to learn more.
- Alexa, show me the living room.
Abode Security System
- Alexa, arm Abode in away mode.
- Alexa, arm Abode in home mode.
- Alexa, arm Abode. (This will arm Abode to home mode)
- Alexa, is Abode armed?
- Alexa, disarm Abode.
Note: Disarming your Abode home using Alexa voice commands requires “Disarm by voice” to be enabled. To enable, open the Alexa mobile app, select “Abode” under your smart home devices, and enable the “Disarm by voice” setting. See more below under Alexa Smart Home Unlock By Voice.
- Alexa, is the front door open?
- Alexa, is the living room window open?
- Alexa, lock the front door.
- Alexa, unlock the front door.
- Alexa, is the front door locked?
- Alexa, turn on my light.
- Alexa, turn off my light.
- Alexa, brighten my light.
- Alexa, dim my light.
- Alexa, change my light to blue / pink / purple / orange / green / red / yellow.
- Alexa, change my light to white.
- Alexa, make my light cooler.
- Alexa, make my light warmer.
- Alexa, turn on my dimmer.
- Alexa, turn off my dimmer.
- Alexa, set my dimmer to 50%.
- Alexa, dim my dimmer.
- Alexa, brighten my dimmer.
- Alexa, turn on my switch.
- Alexa, turn off my switch.
- Alexa, turn on my plug.
- Alexa, turn off my plug.
Create a Routine:
Using the Abode Smart Home skill, you can have Alexa notify you when a door or window opens/closes, or when an Abode Motion Sensor detects a change in motion. What Alexa says is customizable by you.
- When my front door opens, Alexa says, "The front door has been opened."
- When my living room detects motion, Alexa says, "who's there?"
The options are limitless and designed to make your home even smarter and more secure. These instructions assume you already have the Abode Smart Home skill enabled within your Alexa account (see Setup Guide above for more information).
Expand Create a Routine Steps
- Open your Alexa account.
- Select the Home icon in the bottom right corner.
- Select “All Devices”.
- Choose the door or motion sensor you would like to create a routine for.
- Select “CREATE A ROUTINE”.
- You will be taken to a screen that shows your current routines for the door or motion sensor you have selected.
- To listen to your current routine, click the play button to the right of the routine.
- Click the “+” icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Click the “+” icon to the right of “When this happens”.
a. Select device.
b. Select the action you would like the routine to be triggered by.
- Click the “+” icon to the right of “Add action”.
- Choose “Alexa says”.
- Choose “Custom”.
- Enter the phrase you would like Alexa to say.
- Click “NEXT”.
- Click “ADD”.
- If you have multiple Alexa devices, be sure to configure the correct Alexa device that should speak by selecting the device you would like to speak from the dropdown menu within your routine. Click “Save”.
- Test your routine. If you need to edit or delete this routine, you can find it under “Routines” in the Alexa App’s main menu.
Changing your Alexa PIN for your Amazon Echo
Your PIN code is a number you provide verbally to Alexa to securely disarm or unlock (smartlock) your Abode security system. Without a PIN, anybody within range of your Echo could disarm your system. Amazon's best practices recommend you to change your Amazon Alexa PIN every 90 days.
- Go to the Abode Web App (https://my.goabode.com)
- Go to Integrations page
- In the Alexa Security Skills, click settings
- In the settings page, change the PIN Code.
Alexa Smart Home Unlock By Voice
This topic provides instructions for configuring your Abode Smart Home skill to allow Alexa to unlock smart locks that you have integrated with your Abode System.
When enabled, you’ll be able to say phrases like "Alexa, unlock my Front Door". Alexa will respond asking you for a PIN code. When you’ve provided a valid PIN code, the door will unlock and Alexa will confirm that the door was unlocked.
Enable Unlock by Voice
Please note that this topic assumes you have already integrated the Abode Smart Home Skill with your Abode Home. If you have not done this yet, please follow these instructions. Once you’ve completed the integration, return to this topic to enable unlocking via Voice Control.
Follow these steps to enable Unlock by Voice in your Alexa App.
- Open the Alexa App on your mobile phone, tap the menu in the top left corner and select “Smart Home.”
- On the “Smart Home” page, tap on one of your integrated locks.
- On the “Lock Settings” page, tap “Edit” in the top right corner.
- Tap the toggle next to “Unlock by Voice.”
- Tap OK in the “Enable unlock by voice” dialog.
- Create your 4 digit pin, then confirm your PIN by entering it again.
- Complete the process by confirming your Amazon Alexa password.
- That’s it! You can now see that “Unlock by Voice” has been enabled.
- If you would like to also allow doors to be unlocked via your Amazon Alexa mobile app, you can also enable that by tapping “Unlock by app.”
Test it out
Confirm that things are working properly by telling Alexa to unlock a door. She will respond asking for your unlock PIN. When a valid PIN has been provided, she will respond that your door has been unlocked.
"Alexa, unlock my Front Door."
Alexa Video FAQ
Who can use this?
Anyone can take advantage of this provided they have an Abode camera (Abode cam or iota) and the Abode Smart Home Skill on their Alexa
What do I need to do to enable this?
You will need to ensure that their Abode cam and/or iota have the most up-to-date firmware and that their Abode smart home skill on Alexa is running the most up-to-date version. Once they confirm that, they will need to have Alexa discover their devices by saying “Alexa, discover my devices” or doing it manually through the Alexa app
On which Alexa devices does this work?
This feature is only available on screen-enabled Alexa devices. These devices are Alexa Show, Spot, Fire tablets, and Fire TVs
Can I utilize two-way voice through Alexa?
As of now, no. We are planning to offer this as apart of our video solution soon.
Can I have Alexa capture a clip on your Abode cameras?
No, you can only have her pull up live video.