Philips Hue Guide
Integrating your Philips Hue bulbs with Abode allows them to be controlled from your Abode App as well as with CUE Automations. Thanks the the Zigbee radio built into Abode hubs, Philips Hue bulbs integrate directly to the Abode hub eliminating the need for an extra hub or bridge in your home. An example use-case with Abode would be a CUE automation that automatically turns on your front porch and foyer Hue bulbs when you arrive home in the evening.
Please note that a Philips Hue can ONLY be connected to one controller at a time. This means you will need to decide whether you want to connect a light bulb to the Philips Hue Bridge or to the Abode Gateway. If you chose to connect the Philips Hue to the Abode Gateway, you will not be able to use other third-party integrations that worked with the Philips Hue hub.
Connecting a brand new Philips Hue bulb (never connected to a Philips Hue Bridge)
- In the Abode App on your Apple or Android device, select the Menu (≡).
- Tap "Add Device".
- Under Other, tap "Third Party Devices".
- With your lamp/light fixture OFF, insert your Philips Hue bulb.
- Turn on the lamp/light fixture at the switch.
- Within a few seconds you’ll see the Philips Hue bulb blink, hear the Abode hub beep, and see RGB Dimmer show up in the Add Devices dialog.
- Click "Add" next to the device and complete the setup guide to finish adding the bulb to your system. If you have more than one bulb they will all need to be paired individually.
Connecting a Philips Hue bulb that was previously connected to a Philips Hue Bridge
Connecting a Philips Hue that was previously connected to a Philips Hue Bridget is more complex.
Once a Philips Hue bulb has been connected to another network, they are very hard to reset. If connected to a Philips Hue Bridge, you must reset the Philips Hue Bridge to reset all of the light bulbs. Please refer to instructions provided by Philips to learn how to reset your bridge and bulb, then come back to the steps above to pair the bulb to your Abode system.
Now that your Philips Hue bulb is paired to your Abode system it can be used to create smart automations to protect your home and make your daily routines more convenient. Under the Devices tab (from the bottom tray of the Abode App) the bulb can be turned on/off, dimmed, and changed color (if the bulb is RGB), but for a truly hands-free setup your bulbs can be paired with other devices and CUE Automations. Follow our CUE Automation Guide here to learn more about how to create and manage automations.