Smart Locks Guide
This is a short article to explain how to add a Z-Wave smart lock to your Abode system. Please check our compatible devices to ensure your lock will work with the system. An example use-case with Abode would be a CUE automation that automatically locks your doors when the last mobile phone leaves your geolocation home zone, and automatically locks your doors at sunset if any are unlocked.
We recommend resetting your lock to factory settings before attempting to pair. Please follow the instructions included with the lock to do so perform a factory reset if the lock has already been setup before.
- In the Abode App on your Apple or Android device, select the Menu (≡).
- Tap "Add Device".
- Under Other, tap "Third Party Devices".
- Tap on "Z-Wave Exclusion Tool" at the bottom of the page.
- Tap "Continue", follow the placment guide, then tap "Done".
- Place your smart lock into pairing/inclusion mode following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- When the lock is recognized, tap "Continue" to proceed.
- Enter a name for your lock (e.g. Front Door Lock), then tap "Finish" to complete the setup. Your lock is now added and will be visible in the Abode App under Devices.
Now that your smart lock is paired to your Abode system it can be used to create smart automations to protect your home and make your daily routines more convenient. Under the Devices tab (from the bottom tray of the Abode App) the device can be locked or unlocked on command from your mobile device, but for a truly worry-free setup, your smart lock can be paired with other devices and CUE Automations. Follow our CUE Automation Guide here to learn more about how to create and manage automations.
Lock won't pair with the Abode system
Factory reset your lock before attempting to pair it with your Abode system. If you lock has already been set up and used, a factory reset might be necessary before it can enter Z-Wave pairing. Also double-check our compatibility list to make sure you're trying to pair a lock that is compatible with Abode. Abode is only compatible with select Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus locks. Locks operating on Zigbee, Wi-Fi, or other wireless protocols are not supported.
Lock is not responding to automations or manual actions
Many smart locks drain batteries rapidly. Check the battery level on your lock to make sure there is enough power to perform locking/unlocking actions. We suggest using the highest quality alkaline batteries you can if your lock uses off-the-shelf batteries.